Time now: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43

[ 8 posts ] 
Considering a Savvy or Satria Neo - advice please 

Post Considering a Savvy or Satria Neo - advice please
Hi all,

I'm thinking about swapping my current commuter run around (Smart) for something a little more practical (particularly for the winter).

There are a few Savvy's about for sale near me, plus one Satria Neo. I might go have a look and test drive soon but wanted to ask owner's experiences.

My commute is just under 20 miles each way, mix of rural + dual carriageway. I've done it in other cars including 80bhp hatches and my 137bhp Rover, the latter is more fun but expensive! As long as performance is good enough to thrash it out onto a dual carriageway without too much fear of getting rear-ended that's fine. I like a car with reasonable handling but obviously I wouldn't expect too much out of a Proton. Main thing is it has to be practical for the drive I'm doing particularly in the winter: demist quickly is nice, but mainly I would like to know if its possible to drive either of these cars in light snow / ice as long as you drive sensibly.

Would like an honest opinion, if you think WTF are you doing that sort of commute in a Smart and doubt that a supermini would be much better that's fair enough, it would be good to hear either way. But these cars seem like a good cheap way to get from A to B and it's something a bit different so does appeal to me.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:35
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
Post Re: Considering a Savvy or Satria Neo - advice please
Hi, Welcome and well done for thinking beyond the obvious.

It's telling from your post that you're not at all familiar with Proton, but no-one on here will hold that against you, as few non-owners are.
First off, a good handling/ride balance is one thing you really should expect from a newer Proton - it's one area the cars often put the 'big maker' rivals to shame. Even a couple of the older Mitsubishi-based models, (the Coupe and Satria GTi) have good reps in the handling stakes.
One of the reasons is all these models were chassis engineered with serious input from Lotus, which Proton, (or rather their parent company) have also owned since the 1990's. Any of them will humble a Smart for cornering.

A trawl through the Savvy/Neo posts on here should answer most questions, IMO the Savvy drives well, but is the weakest link in the later-era Proton range with too many potential reliability issues. Owners on here may dispute this, but I think the Neo is a more substantial/sophisticated and serious effort, but in using a larger platform/engine it will not be as cheap to run as a Savvy, all things being equal.

Do not discount the three other 'modern' UK imported Protons, (the Impian, GEN-2 and new Persona) as they also drive nicely, assuming having been properly maintained.

Don't expect top-notch trim fit and finish, nor low CO2 ratings generally, but throwing a
well-serviced Neo into your favourite bend at a silly speed will probably get you hooked...
Q.3 2009 Proton Persona 16V IAFM saloon Automatic Ecologic, (Mica Black - my does-everything chief wheels)

Q.1 1993 Porsche 968 16V Coupe Tiptronic, (Black - a bit quick and it's autobox almost as good as the Persona's...)

Q.1 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 1.2 LS 5 door hatch, (Custard yellow - Wife's trolley - also a 16V, but GM porridge)

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:30

SlushMatic wrote:
Hi, Welcome and well done for thinking beyond the obvious.

Don't expect top-notch trim fit and finish, nor low CO2 ratings generally, but throwing a
well-serviced Neo into your favourite bend at a silly speed will probably get you hooked...

Hi and thanks for the advice, it's encouraging to hear they handle well and the Satria Neo certainly seems an attractive option on that basis. Doing a bit more reading around the suspension setup I see it has independent multi-link rear suspension, and if its had Lotus involvement then it makes sense that it would handle well. I also notice they had the confidence to badge up the Neo with the Lotus logo too.

Initially I didn't even consider the Savvy, but the looks have grown on me and I have to be fairly practical about whatever I choose - smaller and more economical is probably better (my wife is using one car for her work and I have my Rover as well so space is limited), plus there seems to be more Savvys about to choose from.

I think I will test drive a Savvy to see what they're like since there are some closer to me for sale than Satria Neos, but probably won't rush into getting anything. Just want to know if I can see myself in one of these.

Reliability issues on the Savvy is a little disheartening but I'm fairly mechanically minded and can do most straightforward jobs, change a sensor, thermostat, sort the brakes, general servicing that sort of thing. But I'd rather not spend all my spare time on whatever I get, I get a little annoyed with the Smart because parts wear out quicker than anything else I'm used to and they can develop some quirky faults but once you get used to the design of them they're not so bad to work on (the German engineering is only really evident on them when rusty looking bolts come out first try with threads clean as a whistle).

I will report back if I take a test drive. Until then any more advice appreciated. Particularly interested in what these cars are like to run through the winter.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 13:49
Premier Member

Drives:
Jumbuck

Cheshire
German engineering wasn't that evident in my 9 yr old Golf.

Had to fight to get any bolts out underneath, as they rusted so badly and stripped.

My 14 yr old Proton is in much better condition.

The Jumbuck (pickup) is great in winter as the cab heats up really quickly, being only for 2 people.
Current cars:- Jumbuck, Wira, Gas Powered Jeep ZJ, Volvo V70, Mazda2

Wed Nov 07, 2018 13:14
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
Protons come from a hot and humid country, rather than somewhere with frozen landscapes, but my Persona copes well enough, although the heated rear window isn't the fastest it's better than a typical Ford and the very good aircon helps dry the incoming air quickly to stop it misting up.

Having a car with it's door rubbers in good condition, (no matter what the make) will help a lot, which is why a typical older car will mist-up more than a brand new one.

I run my car on a set of steel wheels fitted with winter tyres from late November until Spring, which of course gives it an unfair advantage, (mine being an automatic also helps) but the first winter I had it on the factory tyres and it coped as well as any other similar size/weight FWD car in the snow.

As to Savvy reliability, if you find a looked-after car in good condition, (checking that everything is working) then there's a good chance it's going to stay that way. In case you hadn't yet found-out, the Savvy utilizes a lot of last-model Renault Twingo components.

It's inevitable that like many other cheaper cars, Protons can often attract the worst sort of owner who wants the most/newest amount of metal for their cash, (or credit) and are not inclined to spend much money or effort on running it properly. Get a cared-for car though and you should be laughing all the way to the savings bank. Good luck with the search.
Q.3 2009 Proton Persona 16V IAFM saloon Automatic Ecologic, (Mica Black - my does-everything chief wheels)

Q.1 1993 Porsche 968 16V Coupe Tiptronic, (Black - a bit quick and it's autobox almost as good as the Persona's...)

Q.1 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 1.2 LS 5 door hatch, (Custard yellow - Wife's trolley - also a 16V, but GM porridge)

Wed Nov 07, 2018 22:13

Drives:
Satria

Burnley, Lancashire
welcome along, pretty much any one will feel an upgrade from the smart. and in the colder months should be more than adequate.

one thing i would like to add
'I like a car with reasonable handling but obviously I wouldn't expect too much out of a Proton'

thats WHY you buy the proton. test drive the neo through some twisties and i bet you have a smile on your face
RIP Scott - We will never forget you

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19
Profile WWW
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
supraking wrote:
one thing i would like to add
'I like a car with reasonable handling but obviously I wouldn't expect too much out of a Proton'

thats WHY you buy the proton. test drive the neo through some twisties and i bet you have a smile on your face

:keke: Think my first reply to OP covered that - I too was motivated to reply myself because of that 'outrageous slur' of lumping Proton with the likes other 'budget' car brands from the Pacific-Rim, many of which like the Missus' same-era GM Aveo, handle like a 3-legged hippo compared to my Proton.

Obviously, the Persona is a class or two above a T250 Aveo in size, but comparing with Father's more similar 2018 SEAT Leon reveals the Persona to still being competitive in terms of overall ride comfort, damping control and weight transfer - and it's steering feel is superior. Only in terms of ride quietness does the new Leon have a definable edge in this area, although other aspects of the car are way better as you'd expect some 10 years on.

Another thing readily forgotten is that MGRover a few months before it sadly died in 2005 were keen to use the GEN2, (and the still then unlaunched Persona) as a replacement for the 25 and 45 ranges, Autocar even mocked-up an image of a GEN-2 with a 'Rover' grille when it covered the story.
For whatever reason Proton walked away from the deal, maybe they came to realize just how much trouble MGRover was in by that time and were worried about getting paid. As it is, the deal they did in P.R. China to supply Europestar was likely more attractive anyway.

Last edited by SlushMatic on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:36

Drives:
Satria

Burnley, Lancashire
oops, must have skim read that bit :)
and as proton were probably also thinking about leaving the market themselves :)
RIP Scott - We will never forget you

Fri Nov 09, 2018 14:15
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]