Time now: Sun Oct 20, 2019 18:55

[ 10 posts ] 
polish/ paint restoration, beware. 

Post polish/ paint restoration, beware.
my savvy is metallic black and was in very nice condition when I bought it being an 08 and only 21k on it, but black does show every spot of dirt and every tiny scratch, like the ones caused by the previous lady owner`s finger nails around door handles, so I thought that despite a triangular sticker on interior of windscreen proclaiming that the car had been treated with Diamondbrite (never polish again :^o ) I would give it a good wash, dry it and apply a decent polish, I had some Autoglym for dark cars but thought I`d get some TurtleWax back to black with the little scratch stick (like a lipstick) the polish is black. while looking at what was on offer in my local Halfrauds I noticed a T-Cut product that claimed to get rid of small scratches through use of nano-technology and was a Which magazine scratch repair recommended product so I bought it, thank god I tried it on a small inconspicuous area 1`st, it`s bloody awful, :smt013 it`s obviously abrasive and wrecks your finish, claims it`s suitable for all shades/types of black but NO WAY I could have ruined a panel with this stuff, the Turtle black polish on the other hand is fantastic and the little scratch stick really does work so 10/10 =D> , I also applied Rain-X to my windows, great stuff you can drive in torrential rain with wipers off if desired (got into it for visor on motorbike/scooter) as for the T-Cut product, you have been warned !! [-X

Tue Oct 08, 2013 20:54

Drives:
Satria

Burnley, Lancashire
Post Re: polish/ paint restoration, beware.
scratch-x by anychance. i find ti works wonders on anything but black paint. although i found with a sponge and some water it came up good again
RIP Scott - We will never forget you

Tue Oct 08, 2013 21:04
Profile WWW
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
Can vouch for Rain X on lights/mirrors being good stuff - I first used it over 20 years ago.

Never been brave enough to 'polish' the very nice Tranquilty Black of the Persona with anything. Decent quality car shampoo seems to do a pretty good job of keeping it shiny - though a few faint swirl marks abound. Not too sure what's best to do with them :-k
2009 Proton Persona 16V IAFM saloon Automatic Ecologic, (Mica Black - my does-everything chief wheels)
2017 Citroen C3 1.2 PureTech 82 'Feel' hatch, (Ruby Red/Black roof - Wife's new offbeat 12V trolley)
1993 Porsche 968 16V Tiptronic Coupe, (Black, been 'sold' twice now, but no-one actually pays...)

Tue Oct 08, 2013 21:13

Drives:
GTI

Barnsley
If you have bad swirl marks, haze or scratches Id recommend Meguiars Ultimate compound.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 21:38

SlushMatic wrote:
Can vouch for Rain X on lights/mirrors being good stuff - I first used it over 20 years ago.

Never been brave enough to 'polish' the very nice Tranquilty Black of the Persona with anything. Decent quality car shampoo seems to do a pretty good job of keeping it shiny - though a few faint swirl marks abound. Not too sure what's best to do with them :-k

try the turtlewax black polish, it did a first class job of removing/covering all small swirl/scratches, my tranquillity black is tranquil again, seriously though it`s a great polish and I highly recommend it (as good if not better than autoglym) :smt001

Wed Oct 09, 2013 23:26
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
Thanks for the info. I had the 'Diamondbrite' thing done at the stealers when the car was new, but hav'nt waxed/polished it since. Normally would have gone with something from Autoglym as it's always a 'safe' bet IME. Will probably give the Turtlewax a try when I get the time.

Main reason I did'nt risk polishing it with anything was the not knowing for sure what might happen to the tiny flecks of red/blue/yellow in the black paint, which only show-up in bright light.
The paint itself also seems pretty thin to me and I did'nt want to risk ruining the effect with a polish that might blur everything into blackish-looking mess...
2009 Proton Persona 16V IAFM saloon Automatic Ecologic, (Mica Black - my does-everything chief wheels)
2017 Citroen C3 1.2 PureTech 82 'Feel' hatch, (Ruby Red/Black roof - Wife's new offbeat 12V trolley)
1993 Porsche 968 16V Tiptronic Coupe, (Black, been 'sold' twice now, but no-one actually pays...)

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:58

Wallsend-on-Tyne
:keke: ....... mine is simply 'sand blast' charcoal effect MetBlack.

Where the lacquer has been chipped away - gravelrash - it is mottled matte.

I have a bottle of 'black restore'...... but rust chips on the roof (from stonechippings) are more of a concern!! #-o

2sav
Image.... cruisin low @ TOYOTA CARINA2 '91Image

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:59
Club Ambassador and Vice Chairman

Drives:
GTI

Chesterfield,Derbyshire "The nutter capital"
Best cutting compound for scratches is Meguiars Scratch X , along with their claybar to remove ingrained muck. Polishing - Autoglym is poor in my opinion , turtlewax - middle of the road , Meguiars again for a quality finish , although the best stuff I've used and am a convert :-D is Greased lightening!! :twisted: :cool: Awesome finish and is super quick to use. Can polish the car without washing (although that's somewhat risky lol) It's perfect for shows and its quick to apply and easy to polish off without leaving a powdery residue like some polishes. ;)
World first bespoke 4G93 Chargecooled Turbocharger install 227Bhp @ 7358 ,202Ftlb @ 5089, 10Psi 1/4 mile 14.5247 @ 98.11mph

Thu Oct 10, 2013 16:49
Profile WWW

Drives:
Non-Proton
spose the old blue bottle of mer i still got aint the magic stuff evryone said it was 15 years back :lol: still makes the the old gal shiny tho

Thu Oct 10, 2013 21:48

mer is great stuff, but for black cars inc metallic I`d recommend the black turtlewax with the little chip/scratch repair stick, I used most inc autoglym (overated/overpriced) and good old turtlewax does the bizz, all cars paint is now very thin as no longer allowed the good old oil based paints, you can scratch a car`s paint now with your pinky nail, try that on a mk 3 Cortina, lol.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 15:03
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]