Time now: Sun Oct 20, 2019 18:54

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
So who's played in the snow then? 
Club Ambassador and Vice Chairman

Drives:
GTI

Chesterfield,Derbyshire "The nutter capital"
Post So who's played in the snow then?
Had a phone call just before 8pm , do I want to come out to play? :lol: Choice is warm house and a few beers or freezing cold outside and SNOW! Mmmmmmm , toughy :-k

Who am I kidding , course I went out to play. :lol:

What do you get when you cross weeble with a turbo jumbuck,snow tyres and of course snow? Yep you get nutter!! :smt005
World first bespoke 4G93 Chargecooled Turbocharger install 227Bhp @ 7358 ,202Ftlb @ 5089, 10Psi 1/4 mile 14.5247 @ 98.11mph

Fri Jan 18, 2013 22:01
Profile WWW

Drives:
Satria

Burnley, Lancashire
Post Re: So who's played in the snow then?
lol any vids this year?

unfortunatly i havent had any snow yet, well not enough to have any fun in anyway
RIP Scott - We will never forget you

Fri Jan 18, 2013 22:44
Profile WWW

Drives:
GTI

Nah no vids , got to say I want some snow tyres!! :lol:
World first bespoke 4G93 Chargecooled Turbocharger install 227Bhp @ 7358 ,202Ftlb @ 5089, 10Psi 1/4 mile 14.5247 @ 98.11mph

Fri Jan 18, 2013 22:47
Profile WWW
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
Plenty of snow, but only dull school-run today :| - but did manage an interesting off-route detour to a playground to entertain little'un on the way home \:D/

Was begining to wonder if I'd wasted my time fitting the winter wheels this year, (only about 3 days so far this winter cold enough where I live) but they proved thier worth, treating the snow-covered backroads with disdain :smt001
2009 Proton Persona 16V IAFM saloon Automatic Ecologic, (Mica Black - my does-everything chief wheels)
2017 Citroen C3 1.2 PureTech 82 'Feel' hatch, (Ruby Red/Black roof - Wife's new offbeat 12V trolley)
1993 Porsche 968 16V Tiptronic Coupe, (Black, been 'sold' twice now, but no-one actually pays...)

Sat Jan 19, 2013 0:00

Drives:
GTI

:-D :-D Something to be said about winter setup , when we get snow , sometimes we really get it and as mine has sport tyres it's totally useless! :lol:

Sat Jan 19, 2013 0:06
Profile WWW

Drives:
Satria

Burnley, Lancashire
Haha I have found the t1r's dont much like the cold conditions
RIP Scott - We will never forget you

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:08
Profile WWW
Account banned/deleted

I had to go and get some shopping and was waiting outside Lidl on Thursday morning ..of course they did have those rather nice battery chargers for sale again and those very cheap boot tidy bags so I did have another reason to go out and play.. :-" getting back home was a bit of a pain because I have to get up a steep hill with only one lane open and a twonk crawling up there..nearly had to use first gear he was crawling that slow..tyres on the sav are very poor when it comes to grip as many are and the worst thing is if I wanted an all-round tyre then I wont find one due to the size but I could get a winter one if I wanted..very few manufacturers make a 175/50/15 as it is..maybe in the future it would be a good excuse to upgrade to 195/45/15 with new alloys :-k ;) :-$

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:52
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
Captain Proton wrote:
I..very few manufacturers make a 175/50/15 as it is..maybe in the future it would be a good excuse to upgrade to 195/45/15 with new alloys :-k ;) :-$

If you believe the news it seems your region got the worst of the snow Cap'n :shock:

Still think the best tyre 'upgrade', (as in genuinely improving how the car drives on most roads) on the standard Savvy alloys would be to use something good quality nearer 165/60x15" or 175/60x15" - more choice, more chance of being cheaper, will fill-out the arches a little better and have a slightly improved ride bonus, all things being equal.

Certainly a supermini of that size/weight dos'nt need as wide as 195 - the car will be even worse than standard in snow/heavy rain and you could start getting tramling issues :?
2009 Proton Persona 16V IAFM saloon Automatic Ecologic, (Mica Black - my does-everything chief wheels)
2017 Citroen C3 1.2 PureTech 82 'Feel' hatch, (Ruby Red/Black roof - Wife's new offbeat 12V trolley)
1993 Porsche 968 16V Tiptronic Coupe, (Black, been 'sold' twice now, but no-one actually pays...)

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51

Wallsend-on-Tyne
SlushMatic wrote:
Certainly a supermini of that size/weight dos'nt need as wide as 195 - the car will be even worse than standard in snow/heavy rain and you could start getting tramling issues :?

:lol: ....yep! old chestnut on most forum around 'snowtime' are..."our old fezza/nova/fiat [whatever..] on skinnies always made it thru"

2sav
Image.... cruisin low @ TOYOTA CARINA2 '91Image

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:16
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
lol - Still my best 'snow-ploit' drive was in the mid 1990's, trying to get to work with me car-share mate in my Panda Sergio Tacchini - running on 145/70 Polish Stomils of all things at the time.

Navigated in second gear all the way up and then, (rather more scary) back down the other side of Bostal between Worthing/Steyning where only an old Landie had managed that morning, properly deep snow with drifts and everything :shock:

Funniest thing was a crossed-up/stressed-out older bloke, (well he looked old to me at the time, lol) in his very stuck newish MG Montego at the bottom of the hill waving his arms furiously at us, assuming we stood as much chance as him of getting any further
- but what did that silly old fart know? :lol: :lol:

Last edited by SlushMatic on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:35
Anti Slag

Drives:
Coupé

Chesterfield
My efforts lol

R.I.P SCOTT

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:36
Account banned/deleted

SlushMatic wrote:
Captain Proton wrote:
I..very few manufacturers make a 175/50/15 as it is..maybe in the future it would be a good excuse to upgrade to 195/45/15 with new alloys :-k ;) :-$

If you believe the news it seems your region got the worst of the snow Cap'n :shock:

Still think the best tyre 'upgrade', (as in genuinely improving how the car drives on most roads) on the standard Savvy alloys would be to use something good quality nearer 165/60x15" or 175/60x15" - more choice, more chance of being cheaper, will fill-out the arches a little better and have a slightly improved ride bonus, all things being equal.

Better choice of winter all round tyres in the 195/45/15 tho Mr.Slush and its only a consideration at this time..main problem with the sav on 195's is the arches aren't that deep so they can foul so its swings and roundabouts in that quarter..main criticism on savoc seems to be aimed at the rather soft spring setting on the savvy and when you have a full load like peeps with fat ar*es the tyres tend to rub when the 195's are used..strange thing is tho not all members seem to find its fact :-k ..only some of them so a true assessment cant be conclusively formed.. :smt102 many different tyre sizes have been touted on there but many dont take into consideration the fact that the speedo will not read true when the wrong ones are fitted..

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:37
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
Well, that's my point expanded - 195's on a Savvy just are'nt a good idea for a variety of reasons.

Reason that some Savoc members find 195's rub will be either be the offset of the wheels they're using is slightly 'off' - or that the brand of 195's they've got has a slightly wider tread than another maker's 195, (these things do vary by as much as 10% depending on the tyre design)

As for the speedo, well we all know that very few are 'accurate' as standard, as all the car makers play safe so that they underead - and by fitting a slightly higher profile tyre or overall diameter combo will make the speedo more accurate than it was as standard.

In any case, the difference will be very modest if a sensible alternative is chosen and a lower overall diameter/lower profile tyre option would only worsen the speedo issue rather than improving it.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51

Drives:
GTI

brockinghorse wrote:
My efforts lol

Wicked Matt. :-D

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:35
Profile WWW

Drives:
GTI

supraking wrote:
Haha I have found the t1r's dont much like the cold conditions

No they don't!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:35
Profile WWW
Account banned/deleted

SlushMatic wrote:
Well, that's my point expanded - 195's on a Savvy just are'nt a good idea for a variety of reasons.

Reason that some Savoc members find 195's rub will be either be the offset of the wheels they're using is slightly 'off' - or that the brand of 195's they've got has a slightly wider tread than another maker's 195, (these things do vary by as much as 10% depending on the tyre design)

As for the speedo, well we all know that very few are 'accurate' as standard, as all the car makers play safe so that they underead - and by fitting a slightly higher profile tyre or overall diameter combo will make the speedo more accurate than it was as standard.

In any case, the difference will be very modest if a sensible alternative is chosen and a lower overall diameter/lower profile tyre option would only worsen the speedo issue rather than improving it.

A lot of it is the offset..its much debated as already said and ebay will show off set from 35 to 42 and the most common is 38 while savvy is 46..some members are even going to 13" wheels to solve the problem but thats a bridge to far IMHO and the car looks stupid..

Sat Jan 19, 2013 14:06
The Cone Killer and Club Chairman

Drives:
Jumbuck

Chesterfield
Had a blast last night :-D

Half way through 'our trip out' I said to Mark, this isn't really what the Chairman and Vice Chairman should be doing, paused for a couple of seconds and said nah f**k it we are having fun.

Had a scary moment though, choice of metal pole or tree, I choose tree, pole too close tree further away....... Missed both. Not my driving, the engine cut out and I had no brakes at that moment :lol: I said to Mark, no need to be scared unless I scream or bail out..... Neither happend though.

Gonna buy some of the same tyres for next year as the evo truck only runs 15" wheels and these are 14 :(

"Weebles wobble but they don't slow down !! "

Weeble the Mentalist a.k.a Collector of all things Proton including Clubs.

Evo powered 4wd Proton Jumbuck....

Sat Jan 19, 2013 15:24

Drives:
GTI

Weeble wrote:
Had a blast last night :-D

Half way through 'our trip out' I said to Mark, this isn't really what the Chairman and Vice Chairman should be doing, paused for a couple of seconds and said nah f**k it we are having fun.

Had a scary moment though, choice of metal pole or tree, I choose tree, pole too close tree further away....... Missed both. Not my driving, the engine cut out and I had no brakes at that moment :lol: I said to Mark, no need to be scared unless I scream or bail out..... Neither happend though.

Gonna buy some of the same tyres for next year as the evo truck only runs 15" wheels and these are 14 :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That moment was a butt clencher for me! :smt005

Twas a right blast , the scandinavian flick is coming on a treat! :-D :twisted: :lol:

Sat Jan 19, 2013 19:51
Profile WWW
Premier Member

Drives:
Persona (new)

The Deep South (coast)
:lol: =D>
Where our Great Leaders lead, we all must follow their example! :smt005

- If I get caught sliding into summat, I'll say you lot told me to do it! :keke:

Sat Jan 19, 2013 22:36

Drives:
Non-Proton

F.I.B safehouse
They have come in handy those tyres :D don't think your next set will be as cheap ;)

i've only been playing in the garden lol
rushed it so i could have a play it's not finished but drives :)

I built a wooden engine once, wooden pistons, wooden block, wooden head and wooden Turbo, one downside, it wooden go

Sat Jan 19, 2013 22:39
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next